Fusion of the world’s most popular open source learning management system and web conferencing solution will definitely result in truly open learning experience for the users. Moodle as the base LMS and BigBlueButton as the web conferencing platform is the perfect combination for an online learning environment.
BigBlueButton is the open source web conferencing system which enables universities and colleges to deliver a high-quality learning experience to remote students. It supports real-time sharing of slides (including whiteboard), audio, video, chat, and desktops along with recording of the content for later playback.
Recently, BigBlueButton Moodle plugin has been updated to a new version with improved features and enhancements. The new version of the plugin is compatible with Moodle 2.7 version onwards.
New features in Updated BigBlueButton Plugin:
This new version of the plugin includes a lot of new features like:
- Create links in any course that can be used to create rooms/sessions in a BigBlueButton server
- Specify join open/close dates that will appear in the Moodle calendar
- Create a custom welcome messages that appears in the chat window when users join the session
- Launch BigBlueButton in its own tab or window
- Assign the role uses will have in BigBlueButton (moderator, viewer) per user or role in Moodle
- Pre-upload presentations
- Monitor the active sessions for the course and end any session (eject all users)
- Record and playback your lectures
- Access and manage recorded lectures
- Import recording links from a different course, and more.
If you would like to give it a try on your test Moodle site, you need to install the BigBlueButton plugin from here and use the test BigBlueButton server for testing this plugin.
If you would like to setup your own BigBlueButton server, check out the instructions at http://bigbluebutton.org/