Online courses can be made more engaging, interactive and exciting for the learner’s by inducing a small tint of gamification. Gamification is the process to engage, motivate and enhance the learner engagement by using game mechanics and games. Out of box Moodle supports gamification only to a low extent.
There are lot of ways to gamify your Moodle course and many plugins which can be used to enhance the gamification effect. Moodle Plugins can be used to extend the functionality which is not provided in the core.
In this article, I am going to list down the top 6 Moodle plugins which can be used to gamify your Moodle course.
Moodle Plugins for Gamification:
- H5P – One of the most talked about HTML5 based interactive content platform. H5P moodle plugin allows you to create different interactive contents in your Moodle course. Some of the H5P content types for gamifying your Moodle course are: Memory Game, Personality Quiz, Course Presentation, Arithmetic quiz etc. Download the H5P Moodle plugin from Moodle plugins directory here & Check out different H5P content types here.
- Game – One of the best Moodle plugin in the last decade and among the most downloaded plugins. Game Plugin allows you to create interactive games by using questions, glossaries and quizzes. It includes 8 games which are: hangman, crossword, cryptex, millionaire, sudoku, Snakes and Ladders, The hidden picture & Book with questions. Download the most recent version here. Recently, Vasilis – maintainer of Game plugin is looking for support from Moodle community to continue the development of this awesome plugin.
- Quizventure – Unique Moodle plugin which will stop your students from procrastinating while attempting the course quiz. The questions from the course comes down in the form of the ship and the students have to shoot the correct answers. Quite engaging and interesting plugin for engaging the learners. Download the latest version here.
- Stash – Hide the treasure in your course and let the students unlock it. The teacher can create items and then place them in activities and resources for students to find. Along with Stash availability plugin, you can also restrict the access to course content until the learners have collected stash item.
- Level Up! – Let the students earn experience points based on their actions within the course. It will show the current points in a block and learners progress towards next level. Even you can configure to congratulate the learners once they reached the next level. Download the Level Up! plugin here.
- Mootivated – The most recent kid on the block which allows you to reward your learners with virtual coins for learning in Moodle. Learners can use those coins to customize the avatar with different items. Please note that Mootivated needs a paid third-party subscription based service to connect your Moodle site.