Do you know how effective your moodle course is for your students? Are you taking their opinion about the course? By default Moodle includes Choice, Feedback and Survey activities for gathering student’s data.
The survey activity has preloaded surveys, which help you get to know students better, while the choice and feedback activities allow the instructor to create customized survey questions.
Choice is basically online voting, where you present the students with a question and then you give them radio buttons to choose the answers.
Feedback activity allows you to create survey by writing your questions instead of choosing from a list of prewritten questions. The Feedback activity is ideal for the likes of course or teacher evaluations.
Apart from the all three, there is another popular Moodle plugin – Questionnaire. The Questionnaire plugin allows you to create a range of questions to get student feedback e.g. on a course or activities.
As you might have already observed, Feedback and Questionnaire activities offer similar features but which one to choose and why? How you will decide?
Moodle Feedback vs Questionnaire
Feedback activity is available in Moodle core where as the Questionnaire plugin is a contributed one. You need to download and install the Questionnaire plugin. The questionnaire plugin is actively maintained by Mike Churchward. The recent version is compatible with Moodle 3.3 version.
Both feedback and questionnaire activities are easy to setup by teachers without any hassle. Anyone who had used web based questionnaires/surveys before will find them familiar. Each includes the options to choose:
- Whether the students will be able to see the results.
- Limit the number of attempts for the survey.
- Create different types of non-graded questions
- Restrict activity and Activity completion settings to control the release of course resources to students.
- Both of them supports templates. You can easily create and save survey templates for reuse.
Although similar in nature, the plugin have some basic differences like:
- You can use the Questionnaire plugin to encourage the students to complete a questionnaire. You may choose to award the student a grade upon completion. Whereas the feedback activity is not graded.
- Questionnaire allows to Save and resume the answers. This feature allows the users to leave the questionnaire unfinished and resume from the saved point at a later time.
- Questionnaire also allows to create branching questions. This feature allows you to create Yes/No and Radio type questions to have child questions depending on the students choice.
- The other difference is the question types supported
For all requirements and intentions both Feedback and Questionnaire provides the flexibility to create similar surveys. In my opinion, if you need branching questions to create survey based on students responses, then choose the Questionnaire plugin. Otherwise, Feedback is sufficient enough to create the survey. Another advantage with it is that it comes in Moodle core.